Due to personal circumstances, I didn’t release a new perfume last year, the first time this has happened since I launched Anya’s Garden Perfumes in 2006. Perfumes require much emotional involvement, and after the death of my mother, I just stayed low and went about what I love most – working with the worldwide members of the natural perfumery community.
Part of this outreach was checking the pulse of what natural perfumers around the world were thinking, creating, predicting. Not being Guild-centric, I reached out to several acquaintances and included them in the article. Those who participated included Tanja Bochnig of April Aromatics, Elise Pearlstine of Bellyflowers Perfumes, Christian David of Honore des Pres, Alexandra Balahoutis of Strange Invisible Perfumes, Tammy Frazer of Frazer Parfums, Jane Hendler of Ajne Parfumerie, Eleanor Jane of Tallulah Jane Perfumes NYC and myself.
Imagine my surprise today when Basenotes, one of the top three (don’t know how to measure the rankings, but I know they’re up there) released their “Most Viewed on Basenotes 2012” and my article was rated #3 Feature by page views. Knowing 1) that I have non-political blogs that value my work and 2) that natural perfumery is *really* of interest on a non-natural perfumery website is heartwarming and a great way to kick off the new year. Edited to add: I really should call it “our” article since it would not have been possible without the participation of the other seven perfumers.
Basenotes – Most viewed Features from 2012
- Guerlain UK Launch of La Petite Robe Noire by Judith Brockless
- Collecting vintage perfume – an Interview with Barbara Herman of Yesterday’s Perfume by Lila Das Gupta
- The State of Natural Perfumery 2012 by Anya McCoy (after you click to read it, please return and leave a comment – I’d love to hear from you!
- Acqua di Parma revisit Iris – the London launch of Iris Nobile Sublime by Persolaise
- Book Review: The Alchemy of Scent by Jean Claude Ellena by Thomas Dunckley
- Romano Ricci on new release Mad Madame and new Paris shop, Nose by Lila Das Gupta
- Stages on Scent’s Way by Christopher Peterson
- Winter Warmers Round Up by Nick Gilbert
- Filth, Glorious Filth! by Nick Gilbert
- An interview with Gérald Ghislain – mastermind of Histoires de Parfums by Alfarom
Yay! Real, independent data that shows the increasing interest in natural perfumery. What a way to start the year!
Would you, dear reader, care to leave a comment about what your take is on the state of natural perfumery? I’d love to hear from you.